Crocodiles

Chickering Student Radio

Hello and welcome to Chickering Reports. This is Bella and Barrett. Have you ever wondered about crocodiles?

Well, you’re in luck. This blog is all about crocodiles.  Did you know that crocodiles can be over 18 feet. That’s as big as the length of a swimming pool! Wanna learn more about these enormous reptiles? Read on!

Crocodiles live on land and in water. You can find a croc swimming in freshwater, lakes, rivers, and brackish water. Saltwater crocodiles, as the name suggests, live in saltwater. Crocodiles are native to Asia, Australia, Africa, and parts of North and South America.

Crocodiles are carnivores. This means they eat meat. When they eat, they don’t chew. They rip apart large chunks of flesh and swallow them whole. While they eat, they make tears. No one knows why. Crocodiles have one of the strongest bites in the animal kingdom. They have a bite strength of 16,460 newtons and you can tear into a steak with 890 newtons.

Crocodiles have tough green skin that can help them to blend into their environment. Their eyes are on the sides of their head. They have 24 sharp teeth. The biggest crocodile species is a saltwater. They can be 13-18 ft and weigh up to 2200 pounds. The smallest is a dwarf crocodile and is 5ft and can weigh 70 pounds.

Crocodiles are cold-blooded. They have been around for 240,000,000 years and are the closest relatives to birds and dinosaurs. They are very fast and can run 13 miles on land. They live for 50-60 years.

I hope you learned something new about crocodiles. I still can’t believe they can be 18 feet long. Maybe you’ve developed a new fear of crocodiles. Thank you for reading Chickering Reports.

Bibliography

Handwerk, Brian. “Crocodiles Have the Strongest bite ever.” National geographic. Web. 29 May 2019

“Crocodile facts.” Soft schools. Web. 29 May 2019.

Reported by Bella and Barrett

One thought on “Crocodiles

1. Dear Bella and Barrett,
    Wow! I hope I never run into a crocodile. I love how you have lots of interesting facts and even compared out bit with a crocodiles to show how much stronger their bit is from ours. I also love how you shared your resources for your information.
    Next time, with multiple types of resources, such as book, magazine, website; the terminology should be “Works Cited” not Bibliography, which refers to print only resources.
    Awesome job! I’m looking forward to hearing more from you both.
    Fondly,
    Mrs. Chase (Prior Librarian)